How to Measure Your Foot
- While seated, place your foot on a piece of paper in front of you.
- With a pencil, trace around your foot. Hold the pencil as straight up-and-down as possible while measuring and be sure that your pencil remains in constant contact with your foot during this process.
- With a ruler, measure your tracing to determine your foot length and width.
- Foot length
- To convert to centimeters, multiply the measurement by 2.54.
- Foot width
- To find your foot width, measure the distance between the two widest points on your tracing. Reduce this number by 5 mm, or 1/5-inch. The result is the number you will use to determine your foot width.
- Take your measurements at the end of the day, when your feet are the largest.
- Wear the socks you'll wear with your new shoes when you measure.
- Measure both feet and fit shoes to the larger foot.
- If you are doing the measurement by yourself, you will get more accurate results if you sit in a chair when measuring. Don't stand.
- If you have someone to help you take your foot measurement, standing is the best choice.
- You may take measurements in inches or centimeters. To convert inches to centimeters, multiply inches by 2.54.